Applications Now Open for Boston School Committee
If you are a parent, teacher, principal, or representative of business and higher education—and more importantly, are actively interested in guiding the direction of Boston Public Schools—a tremendous opportunity is now available to you. The Citizens Nominating Panel is now accepting applications for two (2) four-year terms on the Boston School Committee beginning in January 2020. The terms of Dr. Lorna Rivera and Alexandra Oliver-Davila will expire at the end of this calendar year.
About the Boston School Committee
The Boston School Committee is the governing body of the Boston Public Schools. The School Committee is responsible for:
Defining the vision, mission and goals of the Boston Public Schools;
Establishing and monitoring the annual operating budget;
Hiring, managing and evaluating the Superintendent; and
Setting and reviewing district policies and practices to support student achievement.
School Committee meetings are held twice a month on Wednesday evenings at 6 p.m. at the Bruce C. Bolling Muncipal Building, 2300 Washington Street, School Committee Chamber, 2nd floor, Roxbury, MA 02119.
You can review materials from previous Boston School Committee meetings here.
About the Boston School Committee Application Process
- Application materials: Download the Boston School Committee application here.
- Deadline: Tue., November 12, 2019 by 11:59 PM
- How to submit your application: Please send your completed application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who can apply: Any parent, teacher, principal, or representative of business and higher education who resides in the City of Boston
- How School Committee members are selected:
- Candidates must submit their application to a 13-member Citizens Nominating Panel.
- The Citizens Nominating Panel then recommends candidates to Boston Mayor Marty Walsh.
- Mayor Walsh then appoints members to the School Committee.
- If you have questions: Please send your questions to scn
Have a Question?
Our experts will provide you with the right information to find the best school