Update: BPS 6th Grade Expansion Changes to Know About
In December, we wrote about the BuildBPS plans to expand seats in Boston Public Schools, as superintendent Dr. Brenda Cassellius announced six K-5 elementary schools in East Boston would receive 6th grade expansions. These schools were in addition to 11 previously-announced 6th grade expansion schools in the neighborhoods of Charlestown, Dorchester, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, Roxbury, and South Boston.
UPDATES: No 6th Grade Expansion for Dever and McCormack Will Remain Open
In a Dec. 11, 2019 letter to the McCormack school community, Dr. Cassellius announced that the Dever would no longer receive a 6th grade expansion and that the McCormack will remain open for grades 6, 7, and 8 in September 2020. Dr. Cassellius' letter reads in part:
"As a result of ongoing conversations with the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and their denial of our request to add a sixth grade at the Dever next year, the McCormack will keep its 6th to 8th grade configuration for the 2020-2021 school year. Students from the Dever and the Russell will continue to have a guaranteed pathway to the McCormack."
Middle School Pathways to the McCormack
All schools that currently have a middle school pathway to the McCormack will retain those pathways for the 2020-2021 school year.
There are four schools with McCormack pathways that will still receive 6th grade expansions in September 2020: Clap, Everett, Perkins, and Tynan. Per Dr. Cassellius' letter, 5th grade students at these four schools have three options when registering for 6th grade at BPS schools next year:
- Remain at their current school for grade 6
- Choose to go to the McCormack
- Enter the lottery for "any other school on their home-based list for the 2020-2021 school year"
Click here to view an interactive map of all BPS Middle School Pathways for next year.
BPS 6th Grade Expansion Schools: UPDATED
- Harvard/Kent Elementary (Charlestown)
- Roger Clap Innovation School (Dorchester)
- Thomas J. Kenny Elementary (Dorchester)
- Edward Everett Elementary (Dorchester)
- Curtis Guild Elementary (East Boston)
- Hugh R. O’Donnell Elementary (East Boston)
- Manassah E. Bradley Elementary (East Boston)
- Samuel Adams Elementary (East Boston)
- Patrick J. Kennedy Elementary (East Boston)
- James Otis Elementary (East Boston)
- William E. Channing Elementary (Hyde Park)
- Joseph P. Manning Elementary (Jamaica Plain)
- George H. Conley Elementary (Roslindale)
- Nathan Hale Elementary (Roxbury)
- Joseph P. Tynan Elementary (South Boston)
- Michael J. Perkins Elementary (South Boston)
Paul A. Dever Elementary (Dorchester)Updated: No 6th grade expansion for SY20-21.
So, what does this mean for your 5th grade student next year?
If your child is in 5th grade at a 6th grade expansion school:
Your child can remain at their school for 6th grade next year. Ask your child's school about how you will indicate your preference to remain.
If your child is in a K-5 school that doesn't have a 6th grade expansion:
You may rank 6th grade expansion schools on your BPS school choice list, but understand those seats are not guaranteed. Boston School Finder advises families to rank additional grade 6 (and beyond) options for your child for next year. You can browse your 6th grade options here via our School Finder Tool.
BPS 6th Grade Expansion Map
Explore our interactive map below to see all schools with a 6th grade expansions for school year 2020–21: